Search Postgresql Archives

Re: hardware for a server

Bruce Momjian wrote:
Greg Smith wrote:
Given what you've said about your budget here, I suspect that you're heading toward either 3ware or LSI and all SATA drives. I wouldn't expect that big of a performance difference between the two with only 8 drives on there. If you had 24, the 3ware controller would likely turn into the bottleneck, and if this was an all SAS system the LSI one would also be the only sensible choice. (Make sure you get the right battery included with whatever controller you pick)

Is this documented somewhere, like on our wiki?  It seems we have a
clear consensus on this and we should document this.

The documentation we do have on the wiki in this area is out of date: http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/SCSI_vs._IDE/SATA_Disks

I just finished testing a bunch of LSI card recently enough that I haven't gotten to fixing the outdated info on there yet about that company.

greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   www.2ndQuadrant.us