Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Finding the bin path

Rob Jaeger wrote:
I was not clear in my initial question. I need to access the pg_dump.exe and pg_restore.exe files from within a c++ program. I can't execute pg_config.exe because it's in that bin that I'm seeking.

I don't quite follow Greg Smith's reply of 'try guess based on "which postmaster"' (can you clarify?)

   $ which postmaster
   /usr/bin/postmaster

the which command on most unix platforms searches the PATH

But - I think I have found what I need! I can do a "SHOW data_directory;" and then from there I can snoop inside the postmaster.opts file to get the bin path. The question I have now is - is this method safe? Is this file present in all platform data directories. (I'm using Win7)

its there on a RHEL/CentOS/Fedora default install...

   $ more $PGDATA/postmaster.opts
   /usr/bin/postgres "-p" "5432" "-D" "/var/lib/pgsql/data"

the one I'd be worried about would be a debian/ubuntu install as they move stuff around all over the place and can support several concurrent installations.