Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Server Requirements

Christine Penner wrote:
Hi,

If we have clients that are going to buy new computers or upgrade current ones, what we can recommend to them for optimal system performance to run Postgres. These can be servers or desktop PCs. We can have from 1-10 users in at a time. At this point all of our database's are small but that can change of course.

Hi Christine,

The problem with this question is that it is far too vague to be able to answer in any meaningful way. You need to add some information to your request. Things like:

- Data set size; How many tables, how many columns, how fast will it grow, what kind of data are in the columns? - Performance; are you using triggers, functions, a lot of complex or simple queries, lots of UPDATEs, INSERTs and DELETEs? - Redundancy; How do you plan to backup the data? What performance criteria do you have? What's your acceptable down time in the case of a failure? - Interface; Users is one thing, but how many transactions will these users incur? - Budget; How much is your client willing to invest? What about long-term maintenance or support contracts?
- Environment; What operating system will postgres run on?

Answer these questions and you will find the hardware requirements will likely begin to become self-evident. If not, ask here again with this info and we'll be much more able to help. :)

Madi