Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Possible causes for database corruption and solutions

On 16/12/2009 3:54 PM, Florian Weimer wrote:
* Michael Clark:

The solution to the problem seemed to be to change the value for the
wal_sync_method setting to fsync_writethrough from the default of fsync.
I was curious if there were perhaps any other reasons that we should look
at?  Or if there may be other alternatives to changing the wal_sync_method
setting.

Fsync and related settings only matter if the operating system (not
just the database) crashes.  Does this happen frequently for you?

When you're dealing with end users who have machines running god-knows-what kinds of awful hardware drivers and with no power protection, then I expect it does. Add laptop users with ageing/flakey batteries, laptops let go flat after they go into powersave suspend, etc, and you're sure to see plenty of cases of apparent crashes.

--
Craig Ringer