Search Postgresql Archives

Abnormal Exit Quandary

I'm getting this message on Postgres 7.4.1 (Mac OS 10.3)

2004-05-24 15:20:15 WARNING: terminating connection because of crash of another server process
DETAIL: The postmaster has commanded this server process to roll back the current transaction and exit, because another server process exited abnormally and possibly corrupted shared memory.
HINT: In a moment you should be able to reconnect to the database and repeat your command.

This message repeats itself for each back-end that shuts down.

This is the second time in two days I've got this message in my log. The server has been running fine for about 5 months straight up until now. The load on the server has increased somewhat in the last few days, not in the number of back-end processes, but in the number of SELECTs each back-end performs.

Can someone give me any pointers on what troubleshooting steps I can take to get my system stable again?