Search Postgresql Archives

Re: extreme memory use when loading in a lot of data

key constraints are all met.  Thus, when loading the data from the
second dump, I am leaving the FK triggers on.

I'd suggest dropping the constraints, adding the data and adding the
constraint again. If you're using 7.4 the speed will be better for
checking the constraint, and if the constraint is not satisfied, you'll
need to remove the offending row and recreate the constraint, but that's
better than having to reimport.

Thanks to Stephan and Tom for the same suggestion. I'm also glad to know it is not a leak but just a large amount of memory use. The load is still taking a LOOONG time because it is just a lowly IDE disk (but it is UDMA100)... 96 hours so far and the memory usage is steady.

     joining column's datatypes do not match