Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Cursors and Transactions, why?

Eric Ridge wrote:
On Apr 6, 2004, at 11:54 AM, Jan Wieck wrote:
If the underlying query is for example a simple sequential scan, then the result set is not materialized but every future fetch operation will read directly from the base table. This would obviously get screwed up if vacuum would think nobody needs those rows any more.

Is vacuum the only thing that would muck with the rows?

Vacuum is the only thing that cares for the dustmites, yes.

I need to setup a 7.4 test server and play with this some, and figure out if the benefits are really what I want them to be. I do appreciate the insight into how cursors work... it helps a lot!

Experience and knowledge can only be replaced by more experience and more knowledge.

Jan

---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 7: don't forget to increase your free space map settings