Re: Web Hosting support for pgsql in PHP

On 27/12/2013 19:04, Jeff Silberberg wrote:

> Good afternoon,
>
>       I move a number sites a few months ago to site5 web hosting but
> have run into an issue where they refuse to include the support for
> pgsql into the php environment.  Although they did try to install it
> with pecl that failed with no pg_config and missing libpg-fe.h.  It
> appears that the php modules do not install with out the developer tools
> installed,   An I have just run into a road block attempting to get this

I run websites (mostly Drupal-based) on a Debian server, and PostgreSQL
is accessible just fine from PHP without the development packages:

  apt-get install php5-pgsql

- and it just works.

I know it can be harder in a shared hosting environment.... here in
Ireland, at least, ISPs don't usually include Postgres support with
cheap shared hosting packages (via CPanel, etc), or if they do it's for
versions that are years out of date.

I haven't looked at WordPress in years, but my memory is that its
support of PostgreSQL wasn't great.... I had to install MySQL just
because a client specifically wanted a WordPress site. :-(

Ray.

--
Raymond O'Donnell :: Galway :: Ireland
rod@xxxxxx