Address:        80.175.29.73#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:   adocom.dyndns.org
Address: 84.191.116.130

[root@sydney ~]# telnet adocom.dyndns.org 5432
Trying 84.191.116.130...
Connected to adocom.dyndns.org.
Escape character is '^]'.

Connects fine from my box. How about firewalls? We had a weird case at work a while back where a router somewhere along the line was blocking all connections until it was ping'd - then after it received a ping, it'd keep the connection open for 20 minutes or so, then start blocking again. Turned out to be faulty!

One thing I would check is the domain name lookup. Make sure your DNS servers are properly configured and respond timely (within 2 seconds.) Repeatedly do a "dig adocom.dyndns.org A" from your client for a minute and see if any time out and/or fail.

Andy.

Brew wrote:
Dirk......

    Hi there, ive got a dynamic URL like myname.dyndns.org
    <http://myname.dyndns.org> which links to my
    server
    where my postgres database runs. The Problem is that the Connection
    fails with error:
    "Warning: pg_connect(): Unable to connect to PostgreSQL server:
    unknown
    host name: adocom.dyndns.org <http://adocom.dyndns.org>"

    Now, if i ping my dynamic address and use the resulting IP for the
    Connection all works fine.

Are you running php on one machine and postgresql on a different machine?

If so, maybe the dynamic address redirection service doesn't handle port 5432. Web servers typically use port 80.

I don't know where my i did something wrong, i use an Java-Applet which

    connects also with the dynamic Address and works fine too.   :(

Does it connect with postgresql, or something else on the machine using a different port?

I think you can use telnet (or ssh?) to manually connect to any port number of a host and see how (and if) the machine responds and get a better idea of what's going on.

brew

--

Strange Brew (brew@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:brew@xxxxxxxxxxx>)

Check out my Stock Option website http://www.callpix.com