Object/relational mappers for PHP?

Hi gang,

We finally have the underpinnings for database drivers in Joomla 1.5,
and now are tackling the thorny issue of all those MySQL-specific SQL
statements littering the core.

One solution of course is to use Christopher Kings-Lynne's(sp?) MySQL
compatibility goodies, but we are also looking to solve this riddle at
the application layer so we can support more databases in the future.

We have implemented some basic SQL generating methods in our database
class (to manage LIMIT and LEFT JOIN differences, for example) but are
primarily relying on ANSI SQL to get around most issues.

I'd like to know if anyone here is already working on a class to
generate SQL at the object level, as opposed to (re)inventing your own
API to generate queries for each database engine.

Anybody else working on something?

--
Mitch Pirtle
Joomla! Core Developer