Re: too many clients

At 09:03 AM 12/30/04, Matthew Terenzio wrote:

On Thu, 2004-12-30 at 00:20 -0500, Greg Stark wrote:
"Gavin M. Roy" <gmr@xxxxxxxx> writes:

I use it on a few very high traffic sites without issue, but it is tuned so
that there is only 1 persistant connection per apache backend and postgresql
will allow the max apache backends, which by default is generally 256. I
highly recommend it in such a situation, while I generally do not recommend
it in any other.

So if I have one Postgres installation but two databases, is it possible that PHP would create twice as many persistant connections as apache childs? This may be where my understanding went awry.

Exactly right. But consider that if you used one username in connect string for read only access and a different username for admin updates, the number of persistent connections would double again!