Re: Parsing Data, Table to Form

Hi Yasmine,

Using your example as much as I can and assuming a single row is being selected for updating. Your patid will be used in place of my keyoftabledata (key of table data) variable.

In admininfo.php:
<?php
for ($rw = 0; $rw < $maxrows; $rw++)
{
    for ($fld = 0; $fld < $maxfields ; $fld++)
   {
         echo pg_Result($result,$rw,$fld);
    }
// I will assume that the key field is the first field in your table result pg_result($result,0,$patid); // add this line - you could combine in one line
   echo "<form method=post action=updaad.php>\n";
echo "<input type=\"hidden\" name=\"patid\"value=\"$patid\" >" // add this line echo "<input type=\"submit\" value=\"Update\" >" // add this line as well
   echo "</form>";
}
// this will give an update button for each row of data from your result table // I have left out the html table so as to simplify and avoid html issues between tables and forms // The only information being passed to updaat.php is the name patid and its value
?>

So updaat.php will have the following:

<?php
$patid =  $_POST["patid'];
// now use $patid to query the db for the row to update
$rowtoupdate = pg_exec($dbcon, "select patid, name, surname, phone, email
from your_table_name where patid=$patid" ); // patid is int ?
// where your_table_name is the name in postgresql
// and patid, name, surname, phone, email are the column names in the table
//
// add error checking etc here
// next lines assumes single row is available in $rowtoupdate
list($formatid,$formname,$formsurname,$formphone,$formemail) =
      pg_fetch_row($rowtoupdate, 0 );
// need to start new form
//  and so on for all your data
// need an update or accept button before writing back data changes
echo "<input type=\"submit\" value=\"Make Changes\" >" echo "</form>";
?>

So finally we have the program that puts the data back to the database. I have used writeat.php in this example, but use whatever name fits into your naming convention.

The essence of writeat.php:
<?php
$patid = $_POST["formatid"];
$name = $_POST["formname"];
$surname = $_POST["formsurname"]
$phone = $_POST["formphone"];
$email = $+POST["formemail"];
$dbcon = pg_connect("dbname=your_db_name user=your_user");
pg_exec( $dbcon, "update your_table_name
set patid=$patid, // allowing the key to be changed !!!!
               name='$name',
               surname='$surname',
               phone='$phone',
               email='$email'
               where patid=$patid" );
?>

This is only one way of doing the required steps and it leaves all error checking out . One thing I don't like is allowing key fields to be changed so easily by operator input, but you may have valid reasons for this. Generally I hide the key fields from update screens unless required or useful to see. My real programs have a lot of additional stuff but I will try and find the simplest one to send to you off line.

Paul

Yasmine Kedoo wrote:

Hi Paul.

I think u do understand what i'm trying to do :-) , but i'm not too sure i understand what u've told me ;-)

Do i need to repeat the following line for each bit of data in the table:

echo "<input type=\"hidden\" name=\"patid\"value=\"$keyoftabledata\" >";

where 'patid' is the ID field in the database. But I am unsure what to do with $keyoftabledata. What does this relate to?

What does $keyforrow relate to here:

$keyforrow = $_POST["yourkeyid"];

Do i need to do this line a number of times for all data in the html table?

If u dont mind, it would be nice if u could send me some sample programs relating to this topic.

Thanx Again,

Yasmine