Re: Please help: PHP4/postgres db woes

Hi Scott,

Thanks very much for your response. Please see my responses below.

On Mar 5, 2004, at 1:47 PM, scott.marlowe wrote:

On Fri, 5 Mar 2004, Danny O'Brien wrote:

Any postgre experts out there? We have a PHP4 site that worked fine
under a previous RedHat build, but we just can't get it working on this
Debian build.

Here's what we're running:

Debian 3.0r1 "woody"
Kernel 2.4.18-bf2.4
Apache 1.3.26-0woo
postgres 7.2.1-2wood
php 4.1.2-6wood

If you can upgrade the above to the latest, that would be a good thing.
Especially postgresql. At the very least, upgrade postgresql to 7.2.5 or
whatever the last version of 7.2 was.

We've applied a script sent to us by the original programmers, that
installed several logins and passwords.
But when we go to login to our PHP site, our login is rejected.

How are logins handled, via apache authentication, or custom PHP code?

I don't know. There's an auth.php file, which would lead me to conclude the latter.

do you mean apache / web site authentication, or pgsql authentication is
failing?

My feeling is that either the site is not "seeing" the database, or, more likely, the database itself is not properly set up.

I've taken the following actions:
3) Altered the pg_hba.conf (located in /etc/postgresql) to reflect the
following, and re-started postgre:

#local        all                                           ident
sameuser
local        all                                           trust
host         all         127.0.0.1     255.0.0.0           ident
sameuser
host         all         0.0.0.0       0.0.0.0             reject

You might want to try setting it to just trust on local and host
127.0.0.1/255.0.0.0 for testing to see if that lets you in.

I took this suggestion -- login still fails.

4) Made sure that the php4-pgsql module is present  -- I did an
"apt-get" for this last week

If you make a simple page that has this in it:

<?php
phpinfo();
?>

what do you get (look in the apache httpd.conf file for the extensions
php is setup to handle.  you may need to edit this and restart apache.

After following the above suggestion, the URL based on the above returns a comprehensive PHP configuration info page.

5) Examined the postgres.log for clues -- the log file is empty,
indicating that no login attempts have been made -- I suppose because
the auth.php has not found the DB?

If auth.php is not finding the db, what kind of error is it giving.
More details make it easier to troubleshoot your problem.

The site returns only the standard error contained in the auth.php: "We're sorry but that is incorrect. Please try again."

Thanks again for your help.

--
Danny O'Brien