Re: PHP and COPY

> To answer your question. I have a order system on my local Postgres (for multiple clients 50+), and need to have an offsite independent database to drive orders for a website (for one client).

None of the replication solutions I have seen (at a resonable price) allow me to limit the data being replicated by a specific field (which I must do from a liability standpoint), so I'm rolling my own replication using php as the scripting language. I've got the data being transferred using inserts just fine, but I would suspect a 50-300% improvement in transfer speed if I could resort to COPY instead (I'm inserting records in transactions of 500 rows each for testing). One of the tables that I need to replicate is a

You would definatley see an improvement from using COPY but you could have other problems. COPY does not happen within a transaction block it just kind of shoves everything in there. You are going to be better served in
the long run doing inserts.

Sincerely,

Joshua Drake

Multi-Gig table (which is about the same size as all the others combined).

Joshua D. Drake wrote:

Hello,

Why in the world would you want to do this? It seems that there should be a better way.

Sincerely,

Joshua Drake

DeJuan Jackson wrote:

Does anyone know how to execute a COPY from PHP?
I keep getting parse errors on all the data.

PHP 4.3.2
PostgreSQL 7.3.4

example:

CREATE table tmp(data text);