Re: Cleaning up aborted transactions

On Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003, at 17:05 Asia/Tokyo, Adrian Tineo wrote:
pg_connect($connection);
pg_query($connection,"BEGIN;");
$insert="INSERT INTO table VALUES (2,7,5);
$result=pg_query($connection,$insert);
if(!$result){
    pg_query($connection,"ROLLBACK");
    //Something went wrong with the insert so we rollback and nothing
changes in the db
}else{
    pg_query($connection,"COMMIT");
    // If everything went all right, then we commit the changes
}
pg_close($connection);

Thanks, Adrian, for the illustration, especially the instance with ROLLBACK. I've figured out this sequence now.

What I'm wondering about is what happens when this sequence isn't properly followed and the script quits before issuing a ROLLBACK or a COMMIT. Obviously it's not a good situation and one to be avoided.

But, if it does happen, what are the alternatives? How do I finish off that transaction that hasn't been properly finished? I'm assuming restarting postmaster will do it, but I'm wondering if there's any other way.

I haven't been able to find anything about this after googling. Obviously the vast majority of people have their ducks in a row. :)

Thanks again, Adrian. I appreciate the response.

Carefully closing my transactions,

Michael