From: Jim Mlodgenski <jimmy76@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, July 26, 2022 8:21 PM
To: James Pang (chaolpan) <chaolpan@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: pgsql-performance@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: alter table xxx set unlogged take long time

On Tue, Jul 26, 2022 at 4:53 AM James Pang (chaolpan) <chaolpan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi ,

We have PG v13.6 in RHEL8.4, we try to set table unlogged before load data.  There are a lot of existing data in this table, when ‘alter table xxx  set unlogged’, we found it take long time and spend time on IO datafileread.  Is it expected?

Yes, the whole table needs to be written to WAL so this could take a long time for a large table