From: "Kumar, Mukesh" <MKumar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: pgsql-performance@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<pgsql-performance@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, MUKESH KUMAR
<mukesh.kumar14@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Performance for SQL queries on Azure PostgreSQL PaaS instance
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2022 09:10:23 +0000

Hi Team,

Greetings !!

We have recently done the migration from Oracle Database Version 12C to
Azure PostgreSQL PaaS instance version 11.4 and most of the application
functionality testing has been over and tested successfully

However, there is 1 process at application level which is taking
approx. 10 mins in PostgreSQL and in oracle it is taking only 3 mins.

After investigating further we identified that process which is
executed from application end contains 500 to 600 no of short SQL
queries into the database. We tried to run the few queries individually
on database and they are taking less than sec in Postgres Database to
execute, and we noticed that in Oracle taking half of the time as is
taking in PostgreSQL. for ex . in oracle same select statement is
taking 300 millisecond and in PostgreSQL it is taking approx. 600
millisecond which over increases the execution of the process.

Oracle Database are hosted on ON- Prem DC with dedicated application
server on OnPrem and same for PostgreSQL.
We are using below specifications for PostgreSQL
PostgreSQL Azure PaaS instance -Single Server (8cvore with 1 TB storage
on general purpose tier ) = 8 Core and 40 Gb of Memory
PostgreSQL version - 11.4

We have tried running maintenance Jobs like vaccum, analyze, creating
indexes, increasing compute but no sucess

I am happy to share my server parameter for PostgreSQL for more
information.

Please let us know if this is expected behavior in PostgreSQL or is
there any way i can decrease the time for the SQL queries and make it a
comparison with Oracle

Regards,
Mukesh Kumar