Re: pg_trgm word_similarity query does not use index for input strings longer than 8 characters

Thank you both a lot for the insights and your input.

> Yeah, this test case seems very unrealistic, both as to table size
> and as to the lack of variability of the table entries.

The example was based on real data with a more complicated query which
prompted me to investigate the issue. The distinction between slow and
fast queries is not as clear cut as with the generated data, but the
general problem remains.

>> Since you have SSDs, you should tune "random_page_cost = 1.1".

I tested different values of random_page_cost with various queries. Too
small values increased the execution time again, due to too eager index
usage. I identified the optimum for my use case at 1.4. This solved my
problem, thanks.

Regards
Jonathan