Re: Better, consistent instrumentation for postgreSQL using a similar API as Oracle

On Mon, Oct  4, 2021 at 08:34:29AM +0200, Laurenz Albe wrote:
> > Now looking closely at postgreSQL, I see an opportunity to more quickly implement Oracle's current feature list.
>
> Anything that improves user experience in that respect is welcome, but consider
> that each database has different approaches to solve the same problems.
>
> Before you go to the length of implementing a lot of stuff, check in with
> the -hackers list and discuss your ideas.
>
> Please be a lot more specific than in this e-mail.  While it is certainly
> fine to sketch your ambitios vision, focus on one specific thing you can
> imagine implementing and come up with a design for that.
>
> Note that "Oracle has it" is not a good enough reason for a PostgreSQL
> feature.  We think we can do better than they do (at least in many respects).
> Also, don't assume that everyone on the -hackers list will be familiar with
> certain PostgreSQL features.
>
> One think that you should keep in mind is that Oracle has to provide different
> features in that area because they are not open source.  In PostgreSQL, I can
> simply read the code or attach a debugger to a backend, and when it comes to
> profiling, "perf" works pretty well.  So there is less need for these things.
>
> I don't want to discourage you, but contributing to PostgreSQL can be a lengthy
> and tedious process.  On the upside, things that make it into core are usually
> fairly mature.

Jeff, I suggest you consider Laurenz's suggestions above, and try to
ignore the comments from Mladen Gogala, since they are caustic and I
believe unhelpful.  Frankly, we rarely have such caustic comments on the
Postgres email lists.

I have emailed Mladen Gogala privately to discuss this.

--
  Bruce Momjian  <bruce@xxxxxxxxxx>        https://momjian.us