PosgtgreSQL hot standby reading WAL from muli-attached volume?

Hi,

I wonder can we set up a hot standby in such a way that we don't need any log streaming nor shipping, where instead every hot standby just mounts the same disk in read-only mode which the master uses to write his WAL files?

Even without a clustered file system, e.g., a UFS on FreeBSD, one can have the master mount in read-write mode while all the hot standbys would mount the volume read-only. Given that WAL logs are written out at a certain rate, one can at regular intervals issue

mount -u /pg_wal

and it should refresh the metadata, I assume. I am re-reading about hot-standby, and it strikes me that this method is essentially the "log shipping" method only that there is no actual "shipping" involved, the new log files simply appear all of a sudden on the disk.

I suppose there is a question how we know when a new WAL file is finished appearing? And as I read the log-shipping method may not be suitable for hot standby use?

Is this something that has been written about already?

regards,
-Gunther