SHARED LOCKS , EXCLUSIVE LOCKS, ACCESS EXCLUSIVE LOCKS

Hi,
We have few select queries during which we see SHARED LOCKS and EXCLUSIVE LOCKS on tables. Can these locks cause slowness? Is there any way to reduce the locks?

What must be causing ACCESS EXCLUSIVE LOCKS when the application is running select queries? Is it AUTOVACUUM?

Regards,
Aditya.