Re: Clarification on using pg_upgrade

On 4/19/16 11:01 PM, Tory M Blue wrote:
>> Slon is also starting to not be viable as it takes some indexes over 7
>> hours to complete. So this upgrade path seemed to really be nice.
>

> If you're standing up a new replica from scratch on the latest version, I'm
> not really sure why that matters?
Not sure why the 7-13 hours causes an issue? Because if I'm upgrading
via slon process, I have to add and drop a node. If I'm dropping my
secondary (slave) I have to move reporting to the master, so now the
master is handing normal inserts and reports. Next item, I'm  without
a replica for 13+ hours, that's not good either.

Don't drop and add a node, just do a master switchover. AFAIK that's nearly instant as long as things are in sync.
855-TREBLE2 (855-873-2532)   mobile: 512-569-9461