Re: Partitions not Working as Expected

On 06/27/2013 03:14 PM, Shaun Thomas wrote:
On 06/27/2013 01:42 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

That will break things: CURRENT_DATE will then be equivalent to just
writing today's date as a literal.

Interesting. I tested it by creating a view and a table with a default, and it always seems to get translated to:

('now'::text)::date

But I'll take your explanation at face value, since that doesn't imply what the output would be. What's interesting is that EnterpriseDB has their own pg_catalog.current_date function that gets called by the CURRENT_DATE keyword. So unlike in vanilla PG, I could mark just the current_date function as immutable without affecting a lot of other internals.

On EDB, this actually works:

UPDATE pg_proc
   SET provolatile = 'i'
 WHERE proname = 'current_date';

But that's a lie, surely. If it breaks you have nobody to blame but yourself. There's a reason EDB haven't marked their function immutable - it's not.

cheers

andrew