Re: Reliability with RAID 10 SSD and Streaming Replication

On 05/22/2013 01:57 PM, Merlin Moncure wrote:

On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 3:06 PM, Greg Smith <greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
You bet, and I haven't recommended anyone buy a 710 since the announcement.
However, "hit the street" is still an issue.  No one has been able to keep
DC S3700 drives in stock very well yet.  It took me three tries through
Newegg before my S3700 drive actually shipped.

Well, let's look a the facts:
*) >2x write endurance vs 710 (500x 320)
*) 2-10x performance depending on workload specifics
*) much better worst case/average latency
*) half the cost of the 710!?

I am curious how the 710 or S3700 stacks up against the new M500 from Crucial? I know Intel is kind of the goto for these things but the m500 is power off protected and rated at: Endurance: 72TB total bytes written (TBW), equal to 40GB per day for 5 years .

Granted it isn't he fasted pig in the poke but it sure seems like a very reasonable drive for the price:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=20-148-695&ParentOnly=1&IsVirtualParent=1

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

--