Re: Reliability with RAID 10 SSD and Streaming Replication

On 05/22/2013 11:06 AM, Greg Smith wrote:

I have some moderately fast SSD based transactional systems that are
still using traditional drives with battery-backed cache for the
sequential writes of the WAL volume, where the data volume is on Intel
710 disks.  WAL writes really burn through flash cells, too, so keeping
them on traditional drives can be cost effective in a few ways.  That
approach is lucky to hit 10K TPS though, so it can't compete against
what a PCI-E card like the FusionIO drives are capable of.

Greg, can you elaborate on the SSD + Xlog issue? What type of burn through are we talking about?

JD

--
Command Prompt, Inc. - http://www.commandprompt.com/  509-416-6579
High Availability, Oracle Conversion, Postgres-XC, @cmdpromptinc