Re: Problems with pg_locks explosion

In addition to tuning the various Postgres config knobs you may need to look at how your AWS server is set up. If your load is causing an IO stall then *symptoms* of this will be lots of locks...

You have quite a lot of memory (60G), so look at tuning the vm.dirty_background_ratio, vm.dirty_ratio sysctls to avoid trying to *suddenly* write out many gigs of dirty buffers.

Your provisioned volumes are much better than the default AWS ones, but are still not hugely fast (i.e 1000 IOPS is about 8 MB/s worth of Postgres 8k buffers). So you may need to look at adding more volumes into the array, or adding some separate ones and putting pg_xlog directory on 'em.

However before making changes I would recommend using iostat or sar to monitor how volumes are handling the load (I usually choose a 1 sec granularity and look for 100% util and high - server hundred ms - awaits). Also iotop could be enlightening.

Regards

Mark