Re: Poor performance using CTE

On 11/21/2012 09:59 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
Andrew Dunstan <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
If we're going to do it can we please come up with something more
intuitive and much, much more documented than "OFFSET 0"? And if/when we
do this we'll need to have big red warnings all over then release notes,
since a lot of people I know will need to do some extensive remediation
before moving to such a release.
The probability that we would actually *remove* that behavior of OFFSET
0 is not distinguishable from zero.  I'm not terribly excited about
having an alternate syntax to specify an optimization fence, but even
if we do create such a thing, there's no need to break the historical
usage.

I wasn't talking about removing it. My point was that if the optimization fence around CTEs is removed a lot of people will need to rework apps where they have used them for that purpose. And I continue to think that spelling it "OFFSET 0" is horribly obscure.

cheers

andrew