Re: pg_dump and thousands of schemas

Hi,

On 25 May 2012 14:54, Hugo <Nabble> <hugo.tech@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanks for the replies. The number of relations in the database is really
> high (~500,000) and I don't think we can shrink that. The truth is that
> schemas bring a lot of advantages to our system and postgresql doesn't show
> signs of stress with them. So I believe it should also be possible for
> pg_dump to handle them with the same elegance.
>
> If anyone has more suggestions, I would like to hear them. Thank you!

Maybe filesystem level backup could solve this issue:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/continuous-archiving.html#BACKUP-BASE-BACKUP

but keep in mind that:
- it preserves bloat in your database thus backup might need more space
- you can't restore to different PG version

--
Ondrej Ivanic
(ondrej.ivanic@xxxxxxxxx)