Re: Suggestions for Intel 710 SSD test

On 10/2/2011 6:26 PM, Gregory Gerard wrote:
If I may ask what were your top three candidates before choosing the intel?
All the other options considered viable were using traditional rotational disks.
I personally don't have any confidence in the other SSD vendors today,
except perhaps for FusionIO (where a couple of old friends work, and I can certainly vouch for their competence) but their products are too costly for our application at present.

Also why not just plan a graceful switch to a replicated server? At some point you have to detect the drive is about to go (or it just goes without warning). Presumably that point will be in a while and be coordinated with an upgrade like 9.2 in a year.
Sure, we have this capability but once you walk through what has to happen if you are burning through SSDs every few months, the 710 value proposition is more attractive for us. For example our data center is 1200 miles from our HQ and it takes a very long road trip or a plane flight to get hands-on with the boxes. We spent some considerable time planning for the 320 style deployment to be honest -- figuring out how to predict when the drive would wear out, building replication mechanisms that would cope gracefully and so on. But given the option of the 710 where wear out can essentially be crossed off the list of things to worry about, that's the way we decided to go.

Finally why not the pci based cards?

Few reasons: 1) Today Intel doesn't make them (that will change soon),
2) a desire to maintain backwards compatibility at least for this generation, on a system architecture level with traditional disk drives, 3) concerns about mechanical integrity and system airflow issues with the PCI card and connector in 1U enclosures. The SSD fits into the same location as a traditional disk
but can be velcro'ed down rather than bolted for easier field replacement.