Re: Suspected Postgres Datacorruption

Sumeet Jauhar wrote:

Our application is running on Postgres 7.4.X . I agree that this is a very old version of Postgres and we should have upgraded .

It's important to know the .X here. The latest 7.4 is 7.4.30: http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/static/release.html

If you're running a 7.4 much lower than .30, you almost certainly have a version with corruption bugs related to indexes. There's a bunch of them mentioned in the release notes of many 7.4 versions listed there.

I ideally want to push to a higher version of Postgres . If I can prove that there will be significant performance benefits and that crashes won’t occur then I will be able to present a strong case .

Go visit http://suckit.blog.hu/2009/09/29/postgresql_history for minute.

8.0 is faster than the 7.4 you're running, and that's showing the speed increase from there. Your application might easily run 10X as fast on a newer PostgreSQL version.

Now, on top of all this, it sounds like you might have a problem with your drives/controller not doing writes reliably. See http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Reliable_Writes for more information. If that's the situation, the version of PostgreSQL you use won't matter too much--the database will still be unreliable if the hardware is configured to do the wrong thing.

--
Greg Smith   2ndQuadrant US    greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   Baltimore, MD