Re: Postgres 8.4 memory related parameters

Kevin Grittner wrote:
Claire Chang <yenhsiac@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
shared_buffers = 32GB
I seem to remember seeing some benchmarks showing that performance
falls off after 10GB or 20GB on that setting.

Not even quite that high. I've never heard of a setting over 10GB being anything other than worse than a smaller setting, and that was on Solaris. At this point I never consider a value over 8GB, and even that needs to be carefully matched against how heavy the writes on the server are. You just can't set shared_buffers to a huge value in PostgreSQL yet, and "huge" means ">8GB" right now.

Note that the problems you can run into with too much buffer cache are much worse with a low setting for checkpoint_segments...and this configuration doesn't change it at all from the tiny default. That should go to at least 64 on a server this size.

--
Greg Smith   2ndQuadrant US    greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   Baltimore, MD