Re: How to boost performance of queries containing pattern matching characters

Gnanakumar wrote:
Thanks for your suggestion.  Our production server is currently running
PostgreSQL v8.2.3.  I think pg_trgm contrib module is not available for 8.2
series.

You're going to find that most of the useful answers here will not work on 8.2. Full-text search was not fully integrated into the database until 8.3. Trying to run an app using it on 8.2 is going to be a constant headache for you. Also, moving from 8.2 to 8.3 is just a general performance boost in many ways.

Also, I read about WildSpeed - fast wildcard search for LIKE operator.  What
is your opinion on that?
http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/wiki/wildspeed

WildSpeed works fine if you can handle the massive disk space and maintenance overhead it introduces. I consider it useful only for data sets that are almost static, where you can afford to build its large index structure once and then use it to accelerate reads continuously, with minimal updates.

--
Greg Smith   2ndQuadrant US    greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   Baltimore, MD