Re: [HACKERS] Slow count(*) again...

Chris Browne wrote:
Well, the community declines to add hints until there is actual
consensus on a good way to add hints.
OK. That's another matter entirely. Who should make that decision? Is there a committee or a person who would be capable of making that decision?

Nobody has ever proposed a way to add hints where consensus was arrived
at that the way was good, so...

So, I will have to go back on my decision to use Postgres and re-consider MySQL? I will rather throw away the effort invested in studying Postgres than to risk an unfixable application downtime. I am not sure about the world domination thing, though. Optimizer hints are a big feature that everybody else has and Postgres does not have because of religious reasons.

--

Mladen Gogala Sr. Oracle DBA
1500 Broadway