Re: [HACKERS] Slow count(*) again...

Mladen Gogala wrote:
The techies at big companies are the guys who will or will not make it happen. And these guys are not beginners. Appeasing them may actually go a long way.

The PostgreSQL community isn't real big on appeasing people if it's at the expense of robustness or correctness, and this issue falls into that category. There are downsides to that, but good things too. Chasing after whatever made people happy regardless of its impact on the server code itself has in my mind contributed to why Oracle is so bloated and MySQL so buggy, to pick two examples from my favorite horse to whip. Trying to graft an alternate UI for the stuff that needs to be tweaked here to do better, one flexible enough to actually handle the complexity of the job, is going to add some code with a new class of bugs and continous maintenance headaches. Being picky about rejecting such things is part of the reason why the PostgreSQL code has developed a good reputation.

--
Greg Smith   2ndQuadrant US    greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   Baltimore, MD