Re: postgres performance tunning

selvi88 wrote:
        I have a requirement for running more that 15000 queries per second.
Can you please tell what all are the postgres parameters needs to be changed
to achieve this. Already I have 17GB RAM and dual core processor and this machine is dedicated for database operation.

You can find a parameter tuning guide at http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Tuning_Your_PostgreSQL_Server that may help you out.

You are unlikely to hit 15K queries/second with a dual core processor. When I run really trivial queries using the pgbench program to simulate database activity, that normally gives about 7K queries/second/core. My dual-core laptop will do 13K/second for example. And real-world queries tend to be a bit more intensive than that. I would normally expect that a quad-core system would be needed to reach 15K even with trivial queries; my quad-core server at home will do 28K queries/second running pgbench. If your individual cores are really fast, you might just make it.

--
Greg Smith   2ndQuadrant US    greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   Baltimore, MD
PostgreSQL Training, Services and Support        www.2ndQuadrant.us