Re: oracle to psql migration - slow query in postgres

On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 8:59 PM, Mladen Gogala <mladen.gogala@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
 If working with partitioning, be very aware that PostgreSQL optimizer has certain problems with partitions, especially with group functions. If you want speed, everything must be prefixed with partitioning column: indexes, expressions, joins. There is no explicit star schema and creating hash indexes will not buy you much, as a matter of fact, Postgres community is extremely suspicious of the hash indexes and I don't see them widely used.
Having said that, I was able to solve the problems with my speed and partitioning.

Could you elaborate on this, please? What do you mean by 'everythin must be prefixed with partitioning column?'

--sam