Re: Testing Sandforce SSD

Michael Stone wrote:
On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 03:23:20PM -0600, Greg Spiegelberg wrote:
I know I'm talking development now but is there a case for a pg_xlog block
device to remove the file system overhead and guaranteeing your data is
written sequentially every time?

If you dedicate a partition to xlog, you already get that in practice with no extra devlopment.
Due to the LBA remapping of the SSD, I'm not sure of putting files that are sequentially written in a different partition (together with e.g. tables) would make a difference: in the end the SSD will have a set new blocks in it's buffer and somehow arrange them into sets of 128KB of 256KB writes for the flash chips. See also http://www.anandtech.com/show/2899/2

But I ran out of ideas to test, so I'm going to test it anyway.

regards,
Yeb Havinga