Re: performance on new linux box

On 07/11/2010 03:02 PM, Ryan Wexler wrote:

Well I got me a new raid card, MegaRAID 8708EM2, fully equipped with
BBU and read and write caching are enabled.  It completely solved my
performance problems.  Now everything is way faster than the previous
server.  Thanks for all the help everyone.

One question I do have is this card has a setting called Read Policy
which apparently helps with sequentially reads.  Do you think that is
something I should enable?

I would think it depends on your usage.  If you use clustered indexes (and understand how/when they help) then enabling it would help (cuz clustered is assuming sequential reads).

or if you seq scan a table, it might help (as long as the table is stored relatively close together).

But if you have a big db, that doesnt fit into cache, and you bounce all over the place doing seeks, I doubt it'll help.

-Andy