Re: Dell Perc HX00 RAID controllers: What's inside?

Craig James wrote:
Now that it's time to buy a new computer, Dell has changed their RAID models from the Perc6 to Perc H200 and such. Does anyone know what's inside these? I would hope they've stuck with the Megaraid controller...

The H700 and H800 are both based on the LSI 2180 chipset: http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/storage/Storlink/H700H800/en/UG/HTML/chapterb.htm

I'm not sure what's in the H200, but since it does not have a write cache you don't want one of those anyway.

Note that early versions of these cards shipped such that you could not use non-Dell drives with them. Customer feedback was so overwhelmingly negative that last month they announced that the next firmware update will remove that restriction: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/servers/f/906/p/19324790/19689719.aspx#19689719

If I were you, I'd tell Dell that you refuse to make your purchase until that firmware release is actually available, such that your system ships without that restriction. That's the right thing to do for the protection of your company, and it sends the right message to their sales team too: this sort of nonsense only reduces their sales.

greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   www.2ndQuadrant.us