Re: 3ware vs. MegaRAID

On 2010-04-09 17:27, Greg Smith wrote:
Jesper Krogh wrote:
Can someone shed "simple" light on an extremely simple question.
How do you physicallly get 48 drives attached to an LSI that claims to
only have 2 internal and 2 external ports?
(the controller claims to support up to 240 drives).

There are these magic boxes that add "SAS expansion", which basically splits a single port so you can connect more drives to it. An example from a vendor some of the regulars on this list like is http://www.aberdeeninc.com/abcatg/kitjbod-1003.htm

You normally can't buy these except as part of an integrated drive chassis subsystem. If you get one that has an additional pass-through port, that's how you can stack these into multiple layers and hit really large numbers of disks.

I've spent quite some hours googling today. Am I totally wrong if the:
HP MSA-20/30/70 and Sun Oracle J4200's:
https://shop.sun.com/store/product/53a01251-2fce-11dc-9482-080020a9ed93
are of the same type just from "major" vendors.

That would enable me to reuse the existing server and moving to something
like Intel's X25-M 160GB disks with just a higher amount (25) in a MSA-70.

--
Jesper .. that's beginning to look like a decent plan.