Re: 3ware vs. MegaRAID

Ireneusz Pluta wrote:
I am waiting for an ordered machine dedicated to PostgresSQL. It was expected to have 3ware 9650SE 16 port controller. However, the vendor wants to replace this controller with MegaRAID SAS 84016E, because, as they say, they have it on stock, while 3ware would be available in a few weeks.

Is this a good replace, generally?
Will it run on FreeBSD, specifically?

The MFI driver needed to support that MegaRAID card has been around since FreeBSD 6.1: http://oldschoolpunx.net/phpMan.php/man/mfi/4

The MegaRAID SAS 84* cards have worked extremely well for me in terms of performance and features for all the systems I've seen them installed in. I'd consider it a modest upgrade from that 3ware card, speed wise. The main issue with the MegaRAID cards is that you will have to write a lot of your own custom scripts to monitor for failures using their painful MegaCLI utility, and under FreeBSD that also requires using their Linux utility via emulation: http://www.freebsdsoftware.org/sysutils/linux-megacli.html

greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   www.2ndQuadrant.us