Re: 3ware vs. MegaRAID

Hi,

I am waiting for an ordered machine dedicated to PostgresSQL. It was
expected to have 3ware 9650SE 16 port controller. However, the vendor
wants to replace this controller with MegaRAID SAS 84016E, because, as
they say, they have it on stock, while 3ware would be available in a few
weeks.

Is this a good replace, generally?
Will it run on FreeBSD, specifically?

Not sure about that specific controller, but I do have a Fujitsu rebranded "RAID Ctrl SAS onboard 256MB iTBBU LSI" that works pretty good on my FreeBSD 6.2 box with the mfi driver.

Getting the megacli tool took some effort as it involves having Linux emulation running but it's now working fine. I wouldn't dare to use it for write operations as I remember it freezing the box just after upgrading to amd64 (it was working good on i386).

Cheers
--
Matteo Beccati

Development & Consulting - http://www.beccati.com/