Re: 3ware vs. MegaRAID

Scott Carey wrote:
* Change the linux 'readahead' block device parameter to at least 4MB (8192, see blockdev --setra) -- I don't know if there is a FreeBSD equivalent.
I haven't tested them, but 3ware gives suggestions at http://www.3ware.com/kb/Article.aspx?id=14852 for tuning their cards properly under FreeBSD. You cannot get good sequential read performance from 3ware's cards without doing something about this at the OS level; the read-ahead on the card itself is minimal and certainly a bottleneck.

As for your comments about drives being faster at the front than the end, the zcav tool that comes with bonnie++ is a good way to plot that out, rather than having to split partitions up and do a bunch of manual testing.

greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   www.2ndQuadrant.us