Re: shared_buffers advice

Dimitri Fontaine wrote:
I still think the best tool around currently for this kind of testing is
tsung

I am happy to say that for now, pgbench is the only actual testing tool supported. Done; now I don't need tsung. However, that doesn't actually solve any of the problems I was talking about though, which is why I'm not even talking about that part. We need the glue to pull out software releases, run whatever testing tool is appropriate, and then save the run artifacts in some standardized form so they can be referenced with associated build/configuration information to track down a regression when it does show up. Building those boring bits are the real issue here; load testing tools are easy to find because those are fun to work on.

And as a general commentary on the vision here, tsung will never fit into this anyway because "something that can run on the buildfarm machines with the software they already have installed" is the primary target. I don't see anything about tsung so interesting that it trumps that priority, even though it is an interesting tool.

greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   www.2ndQuadrant.us