Re: shared_buffers advice

-My warnings about downsides related to checkpoint issues with larger buffer pools isn't an opinion at all; that's a fact based on limitations in how Postgres does its checkpoints. If we get something more like Oracle's incremental checkpoint logic, this particular concern might go away.

Does PG issue checkpoint writes in "sorted" order ?

I wonder about something, too : if your DB size is smaller than RAM, you could in theory set shared_buffers to a size larger than your DB provided you still have enough free RAM left for work_mem and OS writes management. How does this interact with the logic which prevents seq-scans hogging shared_buffers ?