Re: shared_buffers advice

I think the logic you are referring to is the clock sweep buffer accounting
scheme.  That just makes sure that the most popular pages stay in the
buffers.  If your entire db fits in the buffer pool then it'll all get in
there real fast.

Actually, I meant that in the case of a seq scan, PG will try to use just a few buffers (a ring) in shared_buffers instead of thrashing the whole buffers. But if there was actually a lot of free space in shared_buffers, do the pages stay, or do they not ?