PostgreSQL on SMP Architectures

Hi,

I have seen some work done about scaling PostgreSQL on SMP machines and see that PostgreSQL has been executed on several numbers of cores. I have some questions about scaling PostgreSQL on SMP architectures.

System Details that I am running PostgreSQL-8.4.0:
Server: HP Integrity Superdome SD32B
Processor: Intel Itanium2 1.6 GHz (dual-core)
Number of processors: 32
Number of compute cores: 64
Memory architecture: Shared
Memory amount: 128 GB
Disk amount: 4.6 TB
High performance network: InfiniBand 20 Gbps
Operating system: RHEL 5.1 IA64

Question 1) How can I run PostgreSQL on 2,4,8,16,32 and 64 cores and get performance results? I have seen some work about scaling POstgreSQL on SMP architectures and in these slides there were performance results for PostgreSQL running on different number of cpu cores. I want to execute PostgreSQL for different number of cpu cores like 2,4,8,16,32,64 on above server. But I do not know how to compile or run PostgreSQL on multiple cpu cores. What is the exact command to tell Postgres to run on specified number of cores? I need to run Postgres on multiple CPU cores and document this work.

Question 2)Are there any official benchmarks for PostgreSQL performance measurements?

I mean when someone wants to run an official performance test on PostgreSQL which queries and tables must be used. I have executed my queries on a 5 million record table in order to measure performance, but I also want to use the official methods.

Question 3) How can I change the allocated memory and measure the performance of PostgreSQL?

Thanks for all answers,

Reydan