Re: a heavy duty operation on an "unused" table kills my server

Matthew Wakeling wrote:
On Fri, 15 Jan 2010, Greg Smith wrote:
My theory has been that the "extra processing it has to perform" you describe just doesn't matter in the context of a fast system where physical I/O is always the bottleneck.

Basically, to an extent, that's right. However, when you get 16 drives or more into a system, then it starts being an issue.

I guess if I test a system with *only* 16 drives in it one day, maybe I'll find out.

Seriously though, there is some difference between a completely synthetic test like you noted issues with here, and anything you can see when running the database. I was commenting more on the state of things from the perspective of a database app, where I just haven't seen any of the CFQ issues I hear reports of in other contexts. I'm sure there are plenty of low-level tests where the differences between the schedulers is completely obvious and it doesn't look as good anymore, and I'll take a look at whether I can replicate the test case you saw a specific concern with here.

greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  www.2ndQuadrant.com