Re: New server to improve performance on our large and busy DB - advice?

yeah, the values are at the end.  Sounds like your vacuum settings are
too non-aggresive.  Generally this is the vacuum cost delay being too
high.

Of course, I have to ask: what's the down side?

Yes!  You can run vacuum verbose against the regular old postgres
database (or just create one for testing with nothing in it) and
you'll still get the fsm usage numbers from that!  So, no need to run
it against the big db.  However, if regular vacuum verbose couldn't
finish in a week, then you've likely got vacuum and autovacuum set to
be too timid in their operation, and may be getting pretty bloated as
we speak.  Once the fsm gets too blown out of the water, it's quicker
to dump and reload the whole DB than to try and fix it.

My client reports this is what they actualyl do on a monthly basis.

And the numbers are in:

NOTICE: number of page slots needed (4090224) exceeds max_fsm_pages (204800) HINT: Consider increasing the configuration parameter "max_fsm_pages" to a value over 4090224.

Gee, only off by a factor of 20. What happens if I go for this number (once again, what's the down side)?

Carlo