Re: RAID card recommendation

Greg Smith wrote:
Jochen Erwied wrote:
- Promise Technology Supertrak ES4650 + additional BBU
- Adaptec RAID 5405 SGL/256 SATA/SAS + additional BBU
- Adaptec RAID 5405Z SGL/512 SATA/SAS
I've never seen a Promise controller that had a Linux driver you would want to rely on under any circumstances...Easier to just buy from a company that has always cared about good Linux support, like 3ware.
+1

I haven't tried Promise recently, but last time I did I determined that they got the name because they "Promise" the Linux driver for your card will be available real-soon-now. Actually got strung along for a couple months before calling my supplier and telling him to swap it out for a 3ware. The 3ware "just works". I currently have a couple dozen Linux servers, including some PostgreSQL machines, running the 3ware cards.

Cheers,
Steve